"We pass the word around; we ponder how the case is put by different people, we read the poetry; we meditate over the literature; we play the music; we change our minds; we reach an understanding. Society evolves this way, not by shouting each other down, but by the unique capacity of unique, individual human beings to comprehend each other." - Lewis Thomas



Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Seemingly Impossible task...

"I would firstly like to say that this is my first real blog, ever. I'm not really sure nor all that confident that I truly understand the premise of them but here it goes. Have some otherworldly mercy on this un-knowledgeable word-smith..." - Author's Note 04

I have been trying, and seemingly failing, at finding a truly GOOD horror movie for a few years now. In the past couple weeks this interest in uncovering this unsolved mystery of mine. Yet, as I dig deeper into the achieves of films, movies, and even some scripts I am becoming more and more convinced that this is an oxymoron (good horror). Currently the 'beef' that I have with this, is every so often I am looking for a good scare, or at least to be intrigued by the possibility of an ever lurking evil [seems to give life, for me at least, a tad bit more of an interesting edge]. I suppose a large factor with this fiendish mission, which I have laid out, is in all aspects of my art (short stories, films, poetry) I enjoy to toy with the very weak strings of our reality. Which is in the potential of all horror movies, or at least the well written ones.

What I can not fathom in all these TERRIBLE films is that with a little extra attention to detail and a slight level of caring about the piece could create what I am looking for. Actors, for instance, fear should be a natural 'emotion' for most of humanity. As, no matter what the background of the actor, all people have experience a level of fear within their life (whether they admit or not). Yet none seem to be able to tap into that fear, so now I ask how can they be actors? This could be the fault of the director and the appalling lack of direction given by them. Again I am back to the attention to detail and caring and the lack of it in most of these films. Even in Hollywood films (the supposed center of film making culture), there is a surprising lack of...well, everything. Oh, which starts me on another gear griding factor, ending horror movies with a 'happy' ending. Obviously, ending every movie with the death of the characters gets dull, I acknowledge this, but there are different endings. Personally, I feel unsatisfied when a horror movies ends with a 'happy-ish' ending; it leaves nothing for the audience to interrupt nor fear as the point of the term 'horror'.

The majority of horror movie scripts(the story and plot within it) give a level of insight into the lively reality around us. It is more so the execution than the storyline. In fact the beautiful cinematography in most horror films and the intriguing story lines are the sole reason I am determined to find a good one. Horror movies open the door for many opportunities for cinematographers that other genres do not. However, if you are like me - determined - keep telling yourself that eventually there will be that one 'diamond in the rough' that is worth watching and will send chills down the spines of horror lovers everywhere.

To wrap this little rant of mine up, it is important that I say that not every horror movie I have seen or has been put on trial was TERRIBLE, just most have been. There is yet to be one that is excellent and recommendable, however much I may recommend some. As this task continues, I must also mention that Psychological Thrillers are an excellent substitute for the horror lover. There is much less siphoning through ridiculously disturbing (not scary just disgusting: Rape, Zombie Sex, etc. unnecessary disturbance that is tossed into some of these horror-fiction stories) stories. Yet, you receive much of the same suspense and rushes that horror gives you.

Thank you/Merci,

Invidus


Aside: A a point of interest on the Author's Notes, it has been a recent choice of mine to add them to all of my writings. If following me, you will receive them in random orders, as I write in notebooks, other websites, journals and so on. It just allows for the stream of consciousness of my mind to be put onto 'paper' and be formed into words. There is no real connection between them, just a style aspect, I think?

2 comments:

  1. I gotta say that I think that's why I prefer the psychological thriller. At least I know that I will get something of substance out of it. When you find that horror film though. I hope you share that with everybody :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. change your settings if you think about it, so that more than one post will show on your page at a time... :P

    ReplyDelete

Re-actions? Critisms? Say what your thinking, I endorse free speech no matter what the form. Please, speak your mind.